Thursday, August 18, 2011

The werewolf evolution

Just a weeks ago, I just finished my 2 months internship at Neowiz Studio. Neowiz is actually a big company known for making many online games, such as A.V.A, Crossfire, Dekaron, and Special Force. I worked at Neowiz studio as a monster designer for the next upcoming MMORPG again. This time I had a chance to save each images in jpeg to show you my progress of making and editing a monster. The monster I was assigned is a werewolf.

 The beginning. I first started with a dark grey blob shaped like a werewolf and started adding on lights and dark, slowly adding more and more dimensions on the blob. The left arm is missing because I still had some trouble how will the werewolf pose its hand.

Now that I got the shape of the werewolf I began to capture its anatomy. I began to anatomy and muscle structures; I left the werewolf naked just in case to wonder if the art director does not want furs all over the werewolf body. I also changed the right leg position.
Turns out the art director decided the werewolf should have its body covered with fur, so that means all the muscle detail I gave was unnecessary =( But at least the muscle structures helped me to create proper anatomy of the werewolf. Here I begin to add base color on the werewolf. I also changed the werewolf ab muscle.

I realized that the werewolf face remained unfinished and needed to be revised so I worked on it and turned out to look like a rat :O_o: Stills needed to be revised. Here I also began to add some long furs on the werewolf body: the head and private part.

The werewolf face design is finally done. I added some long fur on its arm. Here where the challenge begins: the fur around its head. When 3D modelers structures fur they don't simply add one hair at a time, it is obviously time consuming and too much pixels on one model, they need dimension. What the 3D modeler do is he/she creates a block and add texture on top of it which tricks the viewer as if the block has fur around it. Here I got stuck really bad and you can see how I attempt to make blocks of fur.

 Jae-Min Kim, monster lead designer, gave me a great tip to draw a dimensional fur. He says, (in Korean) "Instead of thinking that the werewolf has fur around its head, think that the werewolf substituted paint brush as a fur." The paintbrush has one batch of fur, easier for me to draw a batch of fur and making it easier for 3D modeler to see what fur is in one batch. It's kinda hard for me to explain in words - ___ -

Finalized design. Took me about 1~2 weeks to finish and get confirm by the Art Director

 Here's the image for those who wants to see image by image:
(*edit* Seems blogspot will resize my image, so I have to use photobucket to get original size for this image)
Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment